Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Self portrait as ... hydrangea


as hydrangea, originally uploaded by roxydynamite.

I had so many ideas for the Self Portrait Challenge this month. It's such a drag that time was so scarce. The day I shot this, I planned to do a self portrait as... Yulia Tymoshenko. Although, I'd hazard a guess that most people aren't as up on Ukranian politics as I have to be as a journalist. Yulia is one of those girl crushes I get every once in a while. During the rise of President Victor Yushchenko, Yulia was always at his side. Looking as if she stoicly bore the load, never faltering, as his looked grim and pale. Today, she's a force to be reckoned with as a paliament leader in Ukraine, disarming with her girlish hairstyle, pearls and peter pan collars. I love the juxtaposition of power and femininity.

Anyway, back to the point. i got my hair all braided up, grabbed my camera along with all my work things and ran out into the garden for a quick photo shoot before work. And suddenly, my shoot morphed into me being a hydrangea instead. One of my favorite flowers, I feel a kinship to them. Not tolerant of full sun, easily dehydrated, big blooms faceted with hundreds of subtly shaded petals. At this time of year, I will often veer from my path to admire a hydrangea in a yard or a park. There are four in my garden now and I hope to add more. A few weeks ago, a scheduling conflict prevented me from going to an open house at Heronswood at Fordhook Farms in Doylestown, PA. Luckily, you can shop online.With prices starting around $13 a plant, the value is excellent and the selection is incredible. If you have even a passing interest in hydrangeas, this site will have you all swoony and reaching for your charge card and spade.

As I write this, I am sipping coffee and nibbling on buttered cinnamon raisin toast while sitting out on the back deck. I can see two lacecap hydrangeas and monarch butterflies swirling around the yellow and purple buddleia bushes. Wish I could spend the whole day here just watching my garden grow. For an alternate version on my self portrait look here. For more from the Self Portrait Challenge gang here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

I like both of these (alternate included)...what a great look you have on your face...entrancing.

7/25/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

The expression on your face and the flowers are lovely!

7/25/2006 04:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute braids. you still look like your idol!

7/25/2006 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

I love your braids, actually I used to wear my hair like for real in high school :0 And of course I love the YOU as a MOPHEAD. hydrangeas being my fave, heat it getting to my here too! Cheers!

7/25/2006 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Nice picture, and I love the post too. Flowers rock.

7/25/2006 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger Georgia said...

Those flowers are incredible... My girl crush I always get is Angelina Jolie... her lips are amazing, what I wouldn't give to look like that! And BTW... Both of the pictures are lovely, I like the one you chose best though. :)

7/26/2006 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger AMCSviatko said...

I'm jealous that you have Hydrangeas. I bought some last year (lovely white ones), planted them and watched them die.

Maybe hydrangeas weren't the best choice for drought-ridden Canberra afterall?

So I replaced them with geraniums which were fine til the guys putting up walked all over them and they died too (the geraniums, not the guys building the fence...)

7/31/2006 04:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home