Thursday, July 06, 2006

... as beauty regime reject


beauty regime reject, originally uploaded by roxydynamite.

I hang somewhere in the ether between the girlie girl and the tomboy. Constantly on the go, I don't have time to stop to check my face and fix my hair. Once I leave he house, that's it. And I rarely spend too long fussing in the mirror before I dash out the door.
Over the years, I've tried hot rollers to put in a curl, the press to take it out and most recently a diffuser to encourage my natural waves. I think I've bothered to blow dry twice this summer.
I've got a facial mask on here for the portrait. It's not really part of my routine. First, let me tell you what I don't do:
Wash the makeup off my face at night
Drink eight glasses of water a day
Get my beauty sleep
Brush my teeth three times a day
floss my teeth- ever
get my waxing down regularly enough
curl my lashes

I'm pretty low maintenance. Two or three times a week I'll shampoo. Lately, I've been using solid shampoos by Lush. Right now I'm using their Ultimate Shine shampoo bar but it's not as fragrant as some of the others like Seanick or Irresistible Bliss. Followed with whatever conditioner is on hand. Currently it's Paul Mitchell Color Protect Daily Conditioner. My face enjoys the tingles from Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser. Soap is one of the only things I am truly snobby about. I haven't used grocery store soap in eons. Usually there are two or three different bars in the dish because I get impatient and want to try something new. For a splurge, I like Claus Porto bars that are a whopping 12 oz each and last for a very long time. I've got my sights on trying out COPA soaps. When I run across their booth at a craft fair, I'll buy at least six bars and spend time stopping people to tell them how hard this soap rocks while the shopkeeper watches me incredulously. What can I say, I like their soap. Especially, the Heather Mint and Ginger Carrot.
I don't use toner or moisturizers except maybe in the dead of winter.
My makeup routine is fast. I used to spend lots more time on makeup. Now I have it down to the bare basics. A quick swipe of MAC Studio Fix foundation. Been using it for years. Last year, I tried Nars after being lured by seeing it in all the fashion mags. It was more expensive, didn't last as long and didn't work as well for me as the MAC. Then a dusting of MAC Gingerly powder blush. On cooler days than the ones we're in now, I swear by L'Oreal Double Extend Lash Extender & Magnifier Mascara . You can see a variety of MAC eyeshadows and a few random ones there on the tray behind me. I don't wear them often. The days of applying three colors, artfully blended are long gone. The past few months, I've been hooked on Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. For a girl on the go, Sephora Jumbo lip pencils are perfect. And cheap at $5.
That's about it. It gets me out the door. Which I have to make a mad dash for right now.

Look for more of this month's theme: Self Portrait as ... at Self Portrait Challenge.

The Pace/Mac Gill Galley in New York City is currently running an exhibit called selportraitr: curating the Flickr.com community. If you can't make it to the gallery, that's okay. There is a nifty slideshow feature at the site. I've been leaving it on for a while as background on my laptop. I spotted an image by fellow Self Portrait Challenge member Kim from Something to Say.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! I wish I had seen this before...this is one of my faves, for sure.

7/06/2006 07:26:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I dont any of those things either. It's good to know I am not alone in my lack of grooming. Thanks for the comfort and the comment.

7/06/2006 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

i love this photo and post. i am so like you with the beauty bits. thank you for stopping off the train at my site.
hmmm think i will try that shine shampoo, sounds dreamy!

7/06/2006 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

My mother would love for you to come and whip my beauty regime into shape, I am a totally failure ;(
Thank you so much for the link! And shout out ;)
Kim

7/07/2006 02:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home