Monday, July 17, 2006

...but I don't wanna go to bed

It's 3 am. I'm still wide awake and I have Mod Podge all over my fingers. The weekend has definitely made up for the ick and angst filled week. Friday night, I had some free time and ended up spending it at the grocery store. Which is really one of my favorite ways to relax. Really, it is. Did you know Jolly Time is making popcorn in marshmallow and carmel apple flavors? You can only know this stuff if you spend quality time cruising the aisles. We only needed toilet paper and baking soda. Somehow I forgot to pick up a box of baking soda. But I came home with lots of fun food. Fox's U-Bet black cherry syrup for homemade cherry cokes. The above mentioned popcorn. Mac n Cheese shaped like bugs. Ice cream cones by Joy conveniently big enough to hold a sundae. On Saturday the Bad Girl Posse (and the Good Boy) convened on Coney Island to see Siren Fest. It sprinkled rain the whole drive there and for the first few minutes we were there. Then it cleared up. Luckily it wasn't as hot as originally forecasted. We caught Tapes + Tapes, The Stills, Art Brut, and some of Scissor Sisters and Stars. I was more interested in people watching than the lineup. We split up at Nathan's to eat. Sweets and I went for hot dogs and fries. Cyndemouse and J-Po stood in the seafood line for the ENTIRE Art Brut set. Sweets and I waited in line, ate and walked around and the poor girls were still waiting. Note to Nathan's: "Get another cashier on the shrimp line. Thanks." We scored some Italian ice on the boardwalk before leaving. I mixed pistachio and spumoni. The pistachio was so good I wish I had gone just for that flavor. After the festival, we went over to Williamsburg to meet Talulah and the Divine Mr. M at Metropolitan. Then we headed home sleepily. I went to bed after 3 am last night, too. Struck with the urge to bake muffins on Sunday, I made good use of a pint of blueberries in the fridge. Sweets' mom carried a Pampered Chef stoneware muffin pan in her luggage all the way from Indiana for me when they visited last month. This was the first time I've had the chance to use it. I'm looking forward to getting it seasoned and using it alot more. During breakfast we worked on the crossword puzzle in New York magazine and read bits from the New York Times that I brought home earlier in the week. I got inspired by an article about getting rid of the grass in your front yard and planting an "edible estate" in its place. Basically, you rip out the grass and put in corn, watermelons, heirloom tomatoes or whatever gets you hungry. Our front yard is about 75 percent grass free already. We were talking just last week about redesigning so it's entirely perennial beds. Now, I'm going to think hard about tucking some veggies in there, too. The rest of the day, we spent driving around to county parks looking for... you guessed right..a wedding location. We visited four parks. And attempted another that we couldn't find the entrance for. One of them. Holmdel Park, has promise. It has a lake surrounded by weeping cherry and crabapple trees which should be in bloom in the time range we're looking to set the date. I've been really against an outdoor ceremony because of the chance of rain. This place got me excited enough to vow to buy an umbrella for every guest if it means we can have our ceremony under a canopy of cherry blossoms. We have a few more places to check out before we make the final decision. I'm hopeful we can find a spot and set the date by the end of the month. It was 96 degrees today. Driving around with the top down was super duper hot. Good thing we brought a thermos of iced tea. We had to take two tea breaks. And an ice cream stop. Then it was getting late so we grabbed dinner out. Sweets wanted fish and I was up for pizza. He had the perfect solution and steered toward 507 Main in Belmar. They have a pizza loaded with crabmeat and shrimp. We also ordered a calzone filled with pesto, shrimp and fresh mozzarella. Since I've been home, I've been working on a homemade item for a pretty bird swap with JEK. Which is why I have Mod Podge on my fingers. I also started to work on putting aside some things for the Paper Scraps swap I signed up for on Swap-Bot. I'd really like to host a swap of my own sometime soon. Until then there are plenty to keep me occupied or wishing I could play along. I've got my eye on the Bottle Swap. I may not be able to resist that one. Resisting sleep probably isn't the best plan either. So off I go to hug a dog or two and a super cute boy, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad you explained what Mod Podge was. i planned to ask "if it's on yoru fingers, why not lick it off... with all that talk of food?"

happy hunting for your wedding spot.

7/17/2006 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home