Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Perspex princess: Self Portrait Challenge


birthday girl2, originally uploaded by roxydynamite.

Determined to catch at least ONE week of this month's challenge, this is the result. If you know me well, you'll know that modern art irks me quite a bit. You will here me saying things like "that is just stupid" or "I don't get it." Call me literal but I don't want to read an explanatory treatise on a piece so I can understand it. I want to "get it" when I look at it. Sweets is a big fan of the modern and post-modern movements. Over the weekend, we spent some time looking at some of his favorite pieces by David Salle.
I didn't walk away from the talk liking the work but it got my wheels turning. Which is one of art's primary purposes.

For this image, I took the photo taken on my birthday earlier this month and encased myself in plastic. I did this out of my urge for self preservation. Here I am on the cusp of crows feet, gray hairs and child birth. Capture it. Another reason for the plastic is that we are living in this plastic environment. We are a plastic generation. We pump it into our boobs and lips to look more attractive. Goods are cheap, plastic made for pennies in awful conditions. And we like it because it's cheap and disposable and we're constantly filling our maws with more, more, more stuff whether we need it or not. I'm even wearing some of this stuff, draped in the fun bling that my friend, Janice, gave me to wear for the day.

I don't really want to preserve myself to protect my body from what nature has in store for it. And I'm certainly not going to inject in my body. But wearing a little plastic bling once a year... What's the harm?

Look For more from the Self Portrait Challenge tribe here.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeS said...

I only got a couple in this month as well. Not a great pop art fan myself but this photo of yours turned out really fun :)

6/27/2006 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

I love the plastic bling

6/28/2006 02:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that layer of plastic encasing each one of us is kinda scarey. I like your commentary on *plastic bling*

6/28/2006 08:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home