Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Self Portait Tuesday: Fooling around


spt 4-18, originally uploaded by roxydynamite.

About a year ago, we went to my oldest nephew's 6th birthday party. The little girl he is sweet on was there plus lots of little boys from his class. We played pin the tail on the donkey. Whacked a pinata. Played on the tire swing.
My sister and I never had birthday parties. I remember one year I got in big trouble because I went to school and told kids I was having one even though I wasn't. In fact, we weren't even going to be home. I don't know why I lied exactly. I guess I just wanted to have what I thought other kids had at home that I was somehow lacking.
My nephews have parties and fun and none of the worries I had when I was little. Through their discoveries and celebrations, I am reclaiming bits and pieces of a childhood I never experienced.
Who would think something as simple as being pushed on a tire swing is so much fun? Sweets was pushing me here and taking my photo. It was a good day.
Swinging can be so freeing. You use your own might to propel yourself into the air and for that brief moment when your feet are kicking the sun, you feel like you may never have to come down.

Try to remember you can always get back up there. You just have to push.

1 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I always headed straight for the swings at recess. I liked swinging as high as humanly possible, to see if I really could wrap the swing all the way around while still on it. Never happened. Kept trying, though!

4/22/2006 08:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home