Sunday, March 26, 2006

vertigo: Weebles wobble but they don't fall down

Thursday just plain stunk. As soon as the door clicked when Sweets went to work, my office called telling me to get a move on and get in there fast. A busload of tourists drove off a cliff in Chile. That affects me how? They were almost all from New Jersey, of course. It doesn't matter where news happens, there is invariably someone from New Jersey involved. That means, we at the paper go into warp speed covering the story. After nine hours in the office, I felt totally scuzzy for reprimanding reporters that aren't trying hard enough (in my opinion) to get photos for the story. I can be quite a vulture when I have to be and it does make me feel gross. I came home, took a bubble bath, felt better and went to bed. On Friday morning, I woke up in a good mood, swung my legs over the edge of the bed, sat up and everything started spinning. I got up and tried walking it off. I ran into the doorjam. As I walked down the hall, I listed to the left like a drunk. Scared, we decided I'd better get to the doctor. When I bent over to put my shoes on, I toppled over into a laundry basket. That was pretty comical. We ended up in the emergency room all day. My primary care physician gave up his practice because his malpractice insurance costs were getting too high and went to work for the hospital. I've had "get a new doctor" on my to-do list for about five months. I put a call into another doctor I know who was very kind but couldn't see me on short notice. He suggested a walk in clinic. Sweets bundled me up, helped me walk out to the car and we were off. The first stop was a bust. Where I remembered a clinic in our town, a bank now stands. So we went south to a clinic in Wall Twp. We got there at 12:07pm. They told us there were closed for lunch for an hour. So we went to the emergency room next. I was briefly examined and gave blood and urine. They gave me an EKG. Which made me wish I had the forethought to shave my legs earlier in the week! An IV of medicine to help with the nausea. A pill to help with the vertigo. Next I was wheeled down the hall for a CT scan of my head. Freaked out by this, I silently swore to myself that if I had a big, honking brain tumor I would insist that only Dr. Derek "McDreamy" Sheppard would be good enough to do the surgery.Luckily, that wasn't neccessary. Despite being a dizzy broad (temporarily), nothing is wrong with the old noggin. The diagnosis was pretty simple: Labyrinthinitis or an inner ear imbalance. It usually clears up in a few days or weeks at most. Basic bedrest keeping the head stationary helps. I climbed straight into bed at 7pm on Friday and didn't get back out until noon on Saturday. I still didn't have my sea legs, so I had to sit home instead of doing all the fun and neccessary things I had on the day's agenda. Sweets had to go to the office for a while to design some pages since he spent all day Friday in the hospital with me. Cyndemouse had done some thrifting earlier in the day, so she stopped by with her loot and some goodies from Del Ponte's Bakery. vintage patterns were her big score of the day. She gave me a apron pattern that is very basic so I can take my first step towards sewing something. We brainstormed my next project for the April color-iffic swap-o-rama. The outcome will hopefully be a cool totebag with purple and green elephant iron-ons and some other embellishments. Once I'm less woozy, I can go over to the craft store to get my supplies. After five doses of the medicine that stops vertigo, I am beginning to feel better today. When I got up this morning my head wasn't spinning. I still feel a little unsteady on my feet, so I'm staying inside with my training wheels on. Maybe this whole episode is my body's way of telling me I am off kilter and need to deal with it. I'm trying to go slow, which is hard for me, and to listen to what my body needs. While puttering around in the kitchen this afternoon, playing "let's make something to eat with whatever is laying around" I got the idea of making a spring themed cd complilation. Blossom Dearie planted the seed with "A Fine Spring Morning." Now I'm off to mine my cd cabinet for other springy tunes and to the stir the pot of "everything left over goes into the pot" chicken soup simmering on the center burner of the new stove.

7 Comments:

Blogger AMCSviatko said...

I had Labyrinthinitis a couple of years back straight after I got off a cruise ship - I thought at first it was because I hadn't got my land legs back abd had fun staggering round a Man Ray exhibition I was visiting. After a week when it still hadn't gone away I went to the doc who gave me pills. One of the side effects of the pils was potentially dizziness. He couldn't answer me when I asked "If I'm still dizzy do I take more pills cause they're not working or less pills because it's a side effect?"
I found a round of ear candling seemed to help a lot.
Good luck!

3/27/2006 01:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/29/2006 06:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/29/2006 07:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes! my sis has a middle ear problem and frequently gets dizzy spells, poor thing. i feel for ya! purple and green elephants sound awesome! eeeee!

3/29/2006 08:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/31/2006 08:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/31/2006 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger amy grace said...

i found your blog while i was searching for info on Labyrinthitis. i had the same horrible thing happen this past friday to me [however, i continued into work and doing my mostly normal weekend things-like being out till 2am saturday-because i thought it was the "fluid in the ear" like my last vertigo experience]. anyway, needless to say, i caved in and went to the doc today to get some antivert and am hopeful all will be well tomorrow. anyway...i sympathize with you! :)

3/31/2008 04:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home