Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I used to be Snow White ... but I drifted

When I was a little girl, there were two female figures I adored. Mae West and Miss Piggy. Watching old black and white movies on PBS on Sunday afternoons, I was mesmerized by Mae West's wisecracking swagger. Even if I didn't get all the jokes. Over the years, I've mastered the double entendre. But Mae's best lines will live on forever. Yesterday, Universal released a five movie DVD collection of her work, Mae West: The Glamour Collection (Go West Young Man/ Goin' To Town/ I'm No Angel/ My Little Chickadee/ Night After Night). Excellent! Even better, it's only $18. Best of all, I have a $15 gift certificate to Amazon. Glamour Collections for Carole Lombard and Marlene Dietrich were also released. A New York Times article called these collections "one of the year's better bargains." Some of Mae West's most fantabulous quotations: "A hard man is good to find."
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
"Don't marry a man to reform him - that's what reform schools are for."
"Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you."
"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."
"I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond."
"I only like two kinds of men, domestic and imported."
"It is better to be looked over than overlooked."
"It's not what I do, but the way I do it. It's not what I say, but the way I say it."
"To err is human, but it feels divine."
"When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better."
Thanks to Brain Quotes for the quotations.
I found out that she's buried in Brooklyn. Maybe I should do a little roadtrip to pay her some respect at her grave. Some funny things came up at the office today. My pal, Lucius, posed this question: "Does it make you feel better or words if your ex has a new partner that is not as good looking as you?" Hmmm. Good one. Discuss.
Then it came up that today is the anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. After I went on my annual rant about how I am sooooo sure Courtney Love killed him and then went on a heroin binge and has never been caught and this is will prove to be true just mark my words..... the youngest member of our department chimed in. "By the time Cobain died, I was Nirvana-ed out." That really made me freak. I mean the guy was 13 at the time. He was barely a teenager let alone hip to what teen spirit smells like. It's days like these that make me feel I am really getting old. I remember the day Cobain died. I was in the middle of painting the apartment above mine to get a rent reduction. The gas bill had been super high so I found a way to get some extra cash. I was up there painting and listening to the radio. When they made the announcement, I felt so terrible. Here was a guy who was depressed. I identified with that. Cobain had made it. He was living the rock n roll dream. He had fame and fortune. Yet it wasn't enough to make that terrible eating pain in his stomach go away. Success had failed to cure his problems and that made me sad. My magpie was caught today by another magpie, the Magpie Outfit, a iPod case that is sturdy, functional and super cute. I'm not one to dress up my dogs (except for a sweater) let alone my iPod but these may make me change my tune. They come in six designs ranging from juicy oranges, pink roses and multi-colored sunflowers. At $24.95, they are priced the same as all the boring options out there, so go ahead and bling it up. Only snag is they are only available for the Nano model right now. The genius behind all this is Maggie Stephens, a crafty gal from Austin, TX. You can find more of her creations, including felt and button flower brooches and pins at her Magpie shop. Birds of a feather have to stick together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home