Monday, March 06, 2006

Ode to Oscar

I was so exhausted last night, my Oscars commentary was available couchside only. I'm embarrassed to say I actually nodded off there for a while and missed the Original Score category. Michelle Williams was my favorite at the Golden Globes and she delivered once again. She exudes old Hollywood glamour with a new Hollywood sensibility. Of all the yellow gowns at the show, hers was the best. I love the floating neckline. The cinch at the waist and gathering at the hips creates a great hourglass figure for a post-baby starlet. Heath Ledger was cute fussing over her hair on the red carpet, too. No matching flower for him this time. Vera Wang's artfully constructed number was triumphant on Keira Knightley. Bonus points for the rad '60's Bulgari necklace. Jack Nicholson must have enjoyed the view sitting next to her during the ceremony. I was initially very positive about Felicity (You got robbed, girl!) Huffman in Zac Posen's plunging onyx number until I saw how short it fell in the front. Amy Adams was nautical and nice. When choosing a gown, my first rule of thumb would be to avoid anything strapless that requires constantly tugging at one's ta-tas. Not a good look. At least do the fluffing BEFORE exiting the limo, ladies. Geesh. Salma Hayek knows her breast can be unruly, so she wisely gave them some extra support. I'm not sure what Charlize Theron was going for last night but it wasn't quite right. The hair was ucky and that poofy bow on her shoulder did not tie her look together. Reese Witherspoon looked decidedly better than she did at the Globes and that's all that "matters." I don't know why Sandra Bullock's dress has pockets or if she had a baby kangaroo stashed in there but she sure spent enough time swishing her hands around in the folds of her dress to freak me out. I love Dolly Parton to pieces, I do, so I'm awfully frightened she is going the Amanda LePore route with the collagen/ Her plump lips didn't look quite ... symmetrical. Men are often overlooked on the red carpet but the polls were buzzing over George Clooney. He's a yawn fest to me. I preferred Ludacris' velvet tux and Terrence Howard's diamond brooch. That was a first, I think. Larry McMurtry kept it real in a tux on top and jeans on the bottom. The foppish bowties on Nick Park and Steve Box, creators of Wallace and Grommit were fun. The matching bowties they produced to dress their Oscars were sublime. And a shoutout to Morgan Freeman for rocking a cravat. My favorite acceptance speech was Best Foreign Film Tsosti's, director, Gavin Hood's passionate affirmation of Africa. For more fashion flogging, check out the always amusing musings of Bunnyshop on The Oscar Fashion Round Up, Barely, Because It Sucked and her daily missives on all things fashionable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home