Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday


spt, originally uploaded by roxydynamite.

I took a bunch of photos yesterday for this week's self portrait and ended up going with the first frame I shot. That says something for going with your first instinct.
Last week, I wrote briefly about my father. Then I found myself standing in front of the only photo I have that he took of me as a girl. I didn't really have a relationship with him from about the age of 13 until he died. But when I was little, before the divorce and all the grown up business complicated my world and gave me tummyaches everyday,I was Daddy's little girl.
He was handsome. Dark hair, light eyes. An ease about him. Charming. He would tease me over and over and I'd never tire of it. He'd ask "Guess what?" I'd answer "What?" looking up expectantly. "Chicken butt" he'd crow and we'd both collapse in the giggles.
He liked to shoot slides. Maybe he's the reason why I got into photography.This photo was taken on the side of our house. Those roses aren't there anymore but my mother lives there now with her third husband.
After my dad died unexpectedly, my step-mother,Terri, contacted me about details that involved me and my sister. She came to New York to cheer a friend in the marathon and we spent the day together. We became good friends. I've gone to visit her and her family in Florida several times in the last few years. On my first trip there, Terri gave me this photo and told me that my Dad kept it in his study. There are boxes of slides in the closet of me that she said I could have when I was ready. On that visit, she didn't look ready to give up anything of his. I wonder if we're both ready now to open those boxes?

Take some time to explore other SPT's from around the world at Self Portrait Tuesday

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim Carney said...

That is very touching. I wonder sometimes what is the ingredient in human nature that wills us to push on through grief and loss.

1/10/2006 02:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home