Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I have been harboring a girl crush on Isabelle Huppert for many years. Thinking that I was probably her only American fan. Far from it, I'm sure. She's well loved internationally. Brit Miss Foxie runs a live journal community dedicated to Huppert where the devoted can express their "fangirlness" to their little hearts' content. I was happy to hear Isabelle interviewed by Leonard Lopate once again on WNYC this week (audio) and thoroughly thrilled to learn MOMA is planning a 26 film retrospective, PS 1 is doing a photo show and Huppert is making her first stab at theater in NYC with 4.48 Psychose at BAM. Did someone officially decree October as Isabelle Huppert month or what? So completely fantastic. The already in progress retrospective at MOMA includes her latest film Gabrielle, her breakout role in The Lacemaker, Violette Noziļæ½re for which she snagged a Best Actress award at Cannes, Rosebud her first English role, and Amateur which is the movie that got me hooked. My work schedule makes getting to most of these films pretty impossible. Maybe I can catch one of the Sunday showings . I've asked for Halloween off, so maybe I could see Heavens Gate which Huppert will be introducing. That would rock. I have been slowly going through what Netflix has available but the choices are pretty meager there considering she's been in 70 films. The exhibit, Woman of Many Faces: Isabelle Huppert, at P.S. 1 opens on Oct 23 with over 100 photos and video portraits. If you want to see Huppert perform live, catch 4.48 Psychose at BAM Brooklyn Academy of Music. Performed in French with English subtitles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home